Official CNet Forums
Alex Dread
2007-03-28 16:11:27 UTC
Why doesn't KGuide setup some web forums so we get less spam then on
here?
Milt
2007-03-28 18:09:27 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Why doesn't KGuide setup some web forums so we get less spam then on
here?
He does, its called the Future World 2 BBS. Why does he need to set up
web forums when he has BBS software that already HAS forums? Seems silly
to me.
ElectroPigT
2007-04-02 18:52:11 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Why doesn't KGuide setup some web forums so we get less spam then on
here?
He does, its called the Future World 2 BBS. Why does he need to set up web
forums when he has BBS software that already HAS forums? Seems silly to
me.
Actually, this question does support my original (decade-old) idea of
web-enabled message bases...personally, I'd love to see it. Post or respond
on either the web interface or on the BBS itself...it can't possibly be
easier for the typical new user to use the web, and it can't possible be
more fun to login and hack away on the BBS itself for the "Old Guard."
Ryan P.
2007-04-02 21:57:57 UTC
Post by ElectroPigT
Actually, this question does support my original (decade-old) idea of
web-enabled message bases...personally, I'd love to see it. Post or respond
on either the web interface or on the BBS itself...it can't possibly be
easier for the typical new user to use the web, and it can't possible be
more fun to login and hack away on the BBS itself for the "Old Guard."
Actually, I have yet to see a web forum that I actually LIKE. I think
its a speed issue... I prefer speed to eye-candy. That's one of the
reasons I'm still big on USENET: Easy-to-follow threading, no
superfluous gadgets and buttons, and its FAST.

Now, if everybody had web forums that were set up similar to Google's
GMail, that'd be a good start...
ElectroPigT
2007-04-03 01:10:31 UTC
Post by Ryan P.
Post by ElectroPigT
Actually, this question does support my original (decade-old) idea of
web-enabled message bases...personally, I'd love to see it. Post or
respond on either the web interface or on the BBS itself...it can't
possibly be easier for the typical new user to use the web, and it can't
possible be more fun to login and hack away on the BBS itself for the
"Old Guard."
Actually, I have yet to see a web forum that I actually LIKE. I think
its a speed issue... I prefer speed to eye-candy.
THANKYOU VERY MUCH!!! 100% TOTAL Agreement there, without even the
slightest question! One of the reasons that I'm not even remotely intersted
in Vista...pretty and stupid is good in a blonde, maybe, but NOT when it
comes to technology!
Post by Ryan P.
That's one of the reasons I'm still big on USENET: Easy-to-follow
threading, no superfluous gadgets and buttons, and its FAST.
If it wasn't for the spammers and knowing that there's only about 3 other
people out there who can spell, or use capitals at the beginning of
sentences, etc...I think there should be a basic training course before
anyone is allowed to connect to the net! If you don't pass a basic
knowledge and language test, they shouldn't allow yo to get online past
email to family...Oh yeah...and ugly people should NEVER be allowed to use a
webcam! Alas, I digress...
Post by Ryan P.
Now, if everybody had web forums that were set up similar to Google's
GMail, that'd be a good start...
Note: ^^ Now there's a subtle hint for the future...although I "somewhat"
disagree... ;)

What I'd prefer to see is a BASIC SETUP for web forms and display--which
cold be based on a "GSimilar appearance" as you suggest...but I do think
that every facet of the web interface be 100% SYSOP configurable. I mean,
half the fun of hitting a BBS used to be shaking your head and muttering
under your breath "Now how the (*@! did he do THAT?!" Some of the wildest
systems out there were so heavily customized that you couldn't tell what
software the BBS was running...I personally did a PCBoard BBSText/Menu set
for the folks who were distributing Real3D in North America, and few if any
people ever noticed that they maade the switch from PCBoard to CNet/PRO at
the time...I hated it, actually, but I took the bucks 'cause I needed a new
cam in the Firebird at the time...still bugs me having people thinking that
CNet was running on a lowly PC. ;)
Alex Dread
Didn't Ray write something like this a while back?
Milt
2007-04-03 21:43:48 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Post by ElectroPigT
Actually, this question does support my original (decade-old) idea of
web-enabled message bases...personally, I'd love to see it. Post or respond
on either the web interface or on the BBS itself...it can't possibly be
easier for the typical new user to use the web, and it can't possible be
more fun to login and hack away on the BBS itself for the "Old Guard."
Didn't Ray write something like this a while back?
yup, you would be referring to B0WS. I do believe K-Guide does have the
source code to that.
Alex Dread
2007-04-06 13:41:59 UTC
Does he use it with the FW2 forums?
Milt
2007-04-06 15:38:54 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Post by Milt
Post by Alex Dread
Didn't Ray write something like this a while back?
yup, you would be referring to B0WS. I do believe K-Guide does have the
source code to that.
Does he use it with the FW2 forums?
No, he doesn't use it. As, if I recall correctly, it was never fully
finished. If K-Guide plans to do anything with it, I don't know. But I
always thought it was silly, why use that when you can just log in the BBS?
Alex Dread
2007-04-09 12:44:53 UTC
Post by Milt
No, he doesn't use it. As, if I recall correctly, it was never fully
finished. If K-Guide plans to do anything with it, I don't know. But I
always thought it was silly, why use that when you can just log in the BBS?
You're at a machine without a telnet client? You want to know your
thread has been responded to without having to log on (RSS)? I think
I've listed several advantages to having better internet and web
support with CNet, but I'm beginning to feel that your questions are
rhetorical. Seriously, I'm having a hard time grasping that you can't
find any value in web support when you run your own web hosting
company. (http://www.miltsweb.com/)

It just feels like your saying, "why use the Internet when you can log
into CNet." Honestly, if you haven't grasped the advantages of using
the web from anywhere and using sockets over ip vs using dialup or
telnet then you just won't ever get any of this I'm talking about.

This isn't a text vs. windowed discussion, I have no problem making an
AJAX console emulation that worked directly on top of a web browser.
A web based solution could still "feel" like CNet with a lot of
advantages. There are new technologies available to solve the
problems we had in the past. Not understanding how to apply them
isn't a good enough reason to say things always have to be the way
they were.
Ryan P.
2007-04-09 23:07:52 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
This isn't a text vs. windowed discussion, I have no problem making an
AJAX console emulation that worked directly on top of a web browser.
A web based solution could still "feel" like CNet with a lot of
advantages. There are new technologies available to solve the
problems we had in the past. Not understanding how to apply them
isn't a good enough reason to say things always have to be the way
they were.
The question is, is there any point in taking existing CNet code and
attempting to modify it to do all these other things? In reality, it
doesn't seem very practical to me (I'm by no means a talented
programmer, so your mileage may vary!).
Milt
2007-04-10 02:33:03 UTC
Post by Ryan P.
Post by Alex Dread
This isn't a text vs. windowed discussion, I have no problem making an
AJAX console emulation that worked directly on top of a web browser.
A web based solution could still "feel" like CNet with a lot of
advantages. There are new technologies available to solve the
problems we had in the past. Not understanding how to apply them
isn't a good enough reason to say things always have to be the way
they were.
The question is, is there any point in taking existing CNet code and
attempting to modify it to do all these other things? In reality, it
doesn't seem very practical to me (I'm by no means a talented
programmer, so your mileage may vary!).
Exactly my point, especially when so much of the stuff he does want to
get CNet to do can already be done with existing software! It seems
pointless to reinvent the wheel.
Alex Dread
2007-04-10 14:25:21 UTC
Post by Milt
Exactly my point, especially when so much of the stuff he does want to
get CNet to do can already be done with existing software! It seems
pointless to reinvent the wheel.
Who is reinventing a wheel? I'm talking about taking an old, dead
idea and spinning it into a new useful idea that isn't the same as it
was before. If I was suggesting a 1-1 port from Amiga to Windows, it
still wouldn't even be reinventing a wheel. I'm not even suggesting /
that/.

But, if you insist on a metaphor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_on_the_shoulders_of_giants
ElectroPigT
2007-04-12 12:34:25 UTC
Post by Ryan P.
Post by Alex Dread
This isn't a text vs. windowed discussion, I have no problem making an
AJAX console emulation that worked directly on top of a web browser.
A web based solution could still "feel" like CNet with a lot of
advantages. There are new technologies available to solve the
problems we had in the past. Not understanding how to apply them
isn't a good enough reason to say things always have to be the way
they were.
The question is, is there any point in taking existing CNet code and
attempting to modify it to do all these other things? In reality, it
doesn't seem very practical to me (I'm by no means a talented programmer,
so your mileage may vary!).
Exactly my point, especially when so much of the stuff he does want to get
CNet to do can already be done with existing software! It seems pointless
to reinvent the wheel.
It's not a question fo reinventing the wheel, it's using new lug nuts to
attach them to a better car... ;)
Alex Dread
2007-04-12 16:25:19 UTC
Post by ElectroPigT
It's not a question fo reinventing the wheel, it's using new lug nuts to
attach them to a better car... ;)
Or, it's like saying. Wow. Cnet is like a wheel. I wonder if a
wheel has more uses then just moving a car around.
ElectroPigT
2007-04-14 12:42:16 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Post by ElectroPigT
It's not a question fo reinventing the wheel, it's using new lug nuts to
attach them to a better car... ;)
Or, it's like saying. Wow. Cnet is like a wheel. I wonder if a
wheel has more uses then just moving a car around.
Or (just to continue the simile rain) it's like seeing a wheel, and
putting some teeth onto it and making it turn other wheels...do something
new and productive that it simply couldn't do before...

Alex Dread
2007-04-10 14:48:23 UTC
Post by Ryan P.
The question is, is there any point in taking existing CNet code and
attempting to modify it to do all these other things? In reality, it
doesn't seem very practical to me (I'm by no means a talented
programmer, so your mileage may vary!).
Probably not. I've said before it's not the codebase that has the
good ideas, it's just CNet was a very well designed BBS. It had the
best forums I've ever used on any BBS, period. Mci made it very easy
for non-programmers to customize the system. Concepts like gamepoints
were never really taken advantage of and could really be great
community builders.

I don't think I've ever mentioned using/needing CNet code to make this
happen.
ElectroPigT
Practicality is something of a moot point, as the ports don't yet exist...
Andrew Alexander
2007-04-13 06:35:57 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Post by Milt
No, he doesn't use it. As, if I recall correctly, it was never fully
finished. If K-Guide plans to do anything with it, I don't know. But I
always thought it was silly, why use that when you can just log in the BBS?
You're at a machine without a telnet client? You want to know your
thread has been responded to without having to log on (RSS)? I think
I've listed several advantages to having better internet and web
support with CNet, but I'm beginning to feel that your questions are
rhetorical. Seriously, I'm having a hard time grasping that you can't
find any value in web support when you run your own web hosting
company. (http://www.miltsweb.com/)
Yeah don't bother everything is foolish, dated, and too much trouble to
find facts on for him.

I am so tired of the anti BBS rhetoric.

Drew
--
--------------------------
Window of Illusion Web Site - http://www.woibbs.org
Window of Illusion BBS - telnet://woibbs.org
ElectroPigT
2007-04-09 08:24:19 UTC
Post by Milt
Post by Alex Dread
Post by ElectroPigT
Actually, this question does support my original (decade-old) idea of
web-enabled message bases...personally, I'd love to see it. Post or respond
on either the web interface or on the BBS itself...it can't possibly be
easier for the typical new user to use the web, and it can't possible be
more fun to login and hack away on the BBS itself for the "Old Guard."
Didn't Ray write something like this a while back?
yup, you would be referring to B0WS. I do believe K-Guide does have the
source code to that.
Oh yeah! TOTALLY forgot about that...since it was based on CNet and he
took all the revenue personally, he "didn't think I'd be interested" at the
time, as he'd have been facing a few criminal charges if I found out when it
was actually happening...and yes, that source HAD to be included, as it was
based on, used code from, and was originally SUPPOSED to be released as a
module within CNet/PRO...greed took over, though...but that's life.
ElectroPigT
2007-04-09 08:19:28 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Post by ElectroPigT
Actually, this question does support my original (decade-old) idea of
web-enabled message bases...personally, I'd love to see it. Post or respond
on either the web interface or on the BBS itself...it can't possibly be
easier for the typical new user to use the web, and it can't possible be
more fun to login and hack away on the BBS itself for the "Old Guard."
Didn't Ray write something like this a while back?
Not that I recall...but you never know, I wasn't exactly "kept in the
loop" from the day I bought the rights, really...there was no "real need" to
keep me properly informed after that point, apparrently.
Alex Dread
Ryan P.
2007-03-29 18:59:24 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Why doesn't KGuide setup some web forums so we get less spam then on
here?
How much spam are you seeing? I think I see one or two a day... a
lot less than my own e-mail!

Personally, I'd prefer he make more use of this newsgroup. I like
having all my discussion areas available at the click of a button,
rather than have to manually visit different websites.

Methodically going down my bookmark list to check messages reminds me
too much of my teen years spend methodically going down my phonebook and
dialing up each BBS to check messages! :)
ElectroPigT
2007-04-02 18:53:11 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Why doesn't KGuide setup some web forums so we get less spam then on
here?
How much spam are you seeing? I think I see one or two a day... a lot
less than my own e-mail!
Personally, I'd prefer he make more use of this newsgroup. I like having
all my discussion areas available at the click of a button, rather than
have to manually visit different websites.
Methodically going down my bookmark list to check messages reminds me too
much of my teen years spend methodically going down my phonebook and
dialing up each BBS to check messages! :)
Hopefully once everything's more solidified, he'll add usenet into the
support base on the BBS again...
ElectroPigT
2007-04-02 18:49:58 UTC
Post by Alex Dread
Why doesn't KGuide setup some web forums so we get less spam then on
here?
There's a whole section set up for that purpose on the Official Support
BBS already...you just have to contend with the VisEd to use it, instead of
your favorite editor or MicroSchlock... ;)