CNET Source Code
Christophe Prevotaux
2012-01-12 04:12:55 UTC
Several years after asking , I am asking again.

Is there a way that the CNET BBS software source code can be released
under a BSD Licence ?

I think by now all concerned parties understand that all hopes of riches
and hefty rewards in gold or $ (lol) by keeping this code locked away for
future use is futile ?

Loosing this code would be a shame, sharing it would ensure that is never
lost.
Christophe
milt
2012-01-13 00:56:18 UTC
Post by Christophe Prevotaux
Several years after asking , I am asking again.
Is there a way that the CNET BBS software source code can be released
under a BSD Licence ?
I think by now all concerned parties understand that all hopes of riches
and hefty rewards in gold or $ (lol) by keeping this code locked away for
future use is futile ?
Loosing this code would be a shame, sharing it would ensure that is never
lost.
Why bother? Source code to a dead product on a dead platform would be
useful to just about, no one.
Ryan P.
2012-01-13 23:34:25 UTC
Post by milt
Why bother? Source code to a dead product on a dead platform would be
useful to just about, no one.
I could see some of the concepts being used in creating web forum
software.

I don't see what good the code would be, though. Except to play with
for personal use?
milt
2012-01-14 19:26:11 UTC
Post by milt
Why bother? Source code to a dead product on a dead platform would be
useful to just about, no one.
I could see some of the concepts being used in creating web forum software.
I don't see what good the code would be, though. Except to play with for
personal use?
I think most of those concepts already have been used in web forum
software. But you don't need the source code to duplicate concepts.
Besides, you would have to interpret the source code of what I believe
would be three different programs (some, but not much, of code goes back
to Ken Pletzer) much of it was re-written by Ray Akey (most of 4.x and
the early 5.x betas) and I'm not sure how much, if any, code was
written/changed by the last code holder.

Then after going through all that work, what the heck would you even do
with it?
Ryan P.
2012-01-16 23:15:07 UTC
Post by milt
Post by milt
Why bother? Source code to a dead product on a dead platform would be
useful to just about, no one.
I could see some of the concepts being used in creating web forum software.
I don't see what good the code would be, though. Except to play with for
personal use?
I think most of those concepts already have been used in web forum
software. But you don't need the source code to duplicate concepts.
Besides, you would have to interpret the source code of what I believe
would be three different programs (some, but not much, of code goes back
to Ken Pletzer) much of it was re-written by Ray Akey (most of 4.x and
the early 5.x betas) and I'm not sure how much, if any, code was
written/changed by the last code holder.
Then after going through all that work, what the heck would you even do
with it?
Not disagreeing... Just reiterating that maybe somebody with a real
passion might want to play with it for personal use

My guilty pleasure is booting up my old system (via Amiga Forever) and
indulging in a game of Empire or Tradewars once in a while.

I still remember spending, in total, hundreds of hours customizing
CircleMUD, so I'll also mess with that on occasion, to.

I find I waste more time messing with old pfiles when I'm in a game
mood than I do messing with my PS2. Yes, it can be satisfying to see a
zombies head explode when you shoot him, but it can also be fun to
survive an attack by a dozen Fidos when you are a low-level character. :)

Ahh yes, the dork in us never really goes away permanently, does it? lol
BalsaDawg
2014-01-13 01:20:18 UTC
No, Ryan, it doesn't. The "inner child" grows up, and "innocence" is ripped away like an old band-aide, but the dork just lingers on like an only son in his mother's basement...

I would like to have a copy of the source code, as well.

Mainly for nostalgia purposes, and the rest for collection reasons. I have everything all the way back to when I started running CNet on a Commodore 64 to when I closed it down on an Amiga 2500 running 3 lines (plus local, of course) on 3.05c. All the books, disks, etc. I think a copy of the source (and it doesn't have to be the LATEST version, actually I'd like to have 3.05c) would be a cool addition to the ole "time capsule" that is my Amiga Storage Containers.

I remember the hours spent getting games up and running, and then modifying and enhancing them as well. I think I had like 20 or 30 of them, but by far TW and Empire were the two that got the most action.

I also remember the hours spent in customizing the BBS itself. I don't think there was a single line in all of the system's text files that was not modified at one time or another...