Making CNet 3.05c "Nettable"
Warya
2007-06-21 20:02:20 UTC
I would like to how I could make CNet 3.05c Telnettable as I have a
internet connecton with 1mbit upload capability. I figure at that speed I
should be able to open up at least 16 ports comfortably for allowing online
game multiplay(I.E. Tradewars, Earth Lords, etc.)

The problem is, when I last ran my BBS, The internet craze was just catching
on, at least in my area(Circa 1994). In fact most access to the Internet at
that time was being handled via shell accounts in the Nashville, TN area. I
didn't even know Telnet existed back then. I took my board down only to find
out like a few years ago that a lot of BBSs were switching over to being
telnettable.

I know of programs, like DNet and a few others that will make CNet 3.05c
telnettable, but have no clue how to set them up. I also know that as of
CNet 4.2 I think, that Telnettable capability built in. I guess I may be
looking to upgrade from CNet 3.05c to the latest version as its been so long
since I've actually ran my BBS, that I'd have to start over from scratch,
including reading the manual. May as read a new one instead. :P In fact, I
think I actually either lost or threw away my old 3.05c manual anyway.
Bummer. :(
--
President, and Lead Technician
The ELECTR0C0RE Computer C0RE(TEC3cc)
We are listed on the Rutherford County TN Chamber Website.
MobbyG
2007-06-22 02:17:33 UTC
The easiest way is to get telser.device. It's freeware now and can be
used as the telnetd.device to allow access to your BBS via telnet.

It acts like a software modem, sending "RING" and accepting AT
commands from the BBS, which CNet needs to answer calls and telnet
connections. You can find it on Aminet and the key is also up on
Aminet as well.

If you need more help, come on back.
Milt
2007-06-22 20:41:08 UTC
Post by Warya
I would like to how I could make CNet 3.05c Telnettable as I have a
internet connecton with 1mbit upload capability. I figure at that speed I
should be able to open up at least 16 ports comfortably for allowing online
game multiplay(I.E. Tradewars, Earth Lords, etc.)
Actually, the amount of hassle it would take to do that would not be
worth it. You would be better off to get the latest version of the
software which does all of that internally.
Ryan P.
2007-06-22 20:54:45 UTC
Post by Milt
Post by Warya
I would like to how I could make CNet 3.05c Telnettable as I have a
internet connecton with 1mbit upload capability. I figure at that
speed I should be able to open up at least 16 ports comfortably for
allowing online game multiplay(I.E. Tradewars, Earth Lords, etc.)
Actually, the amount of hassle it would take to do that would not be
worth it. You would be better off to get the latest version of the
software which does all of that internally.
Depends on how much time he wants to put into it... Installing and
configuring CNet 5 to the level he had CNet 3 customized may take just
as long, if not longer, than installing telser or telnetd.
MobbyG
2007-06-23 01:18:20 UTC
Post by Ryan P.
Depends on how much time he wants to put into it... Installing and
configuring CNet 5 to the level he had CNet 3 customized may take just
as long, if not longer, than installing telser or telnetd.
Yeah. Installing telnetd or tesler is only a matter of creating a
couple directories and creating a config file.
10 mins tops
Milt
Yeah, but its CNet 3.
Ryan P.
Details, details! :)
Milt
2007-06-25 02:32:23 UTC
Post by Ryan P.
Post by Milt
Post by MobbyG
Post by Ryan P.
Depends on how much time he wants to put into it... Installing and
configuring CNet 5 to the level he had CNet 3 customized may take just
as long, if not longer, than installing telser or telnetd.
Yeah. Installing telnetd or tesler is only a matter of creating a
couple directories and creating a config file.
10 mins tops
Yeah, but its CNet 3.
Details, details! :)
Also, rereading that first post. The person said they would have to set
up the board from scratch anyhow. So, since they got to start all over,
might as well do it with the latest version and not a really old version :)
Andrew Alexander
2007-06-25 15:50:10 UTC
Yeah setting up telnetd for cnet 3 isn't that hard at all. In fact cnet
5's telnetd system is weak at this time. Everyone uses telnetd in
whatever version they use.

Oh and what's this? Looks like a link to info on how to setup telnetd.
Although it's for cnet 5 it's about the same in cnet 3.

http://woibbs.org/explained/modems_explained.shtml

Drew
Post by Ryan P.
Post by Milt
--------------------------
Window of Illusion Web Site - http://www.woibbs.org
Window of Illusion BBS - telnet://woibbs.org
Ryan P.
2007-06-25 20:54:20 UTC
Post by Andrew Alexander
Yeah setting up telnetd for cnet 3 isn't that hard at all. In fact cnet
5's telnetd system is weak at this time. Everyone uses telnetd in
whatever version they use.
Actualy, now that you mention it, I seem to remember an issue with
file transfers using the built-in telnet.

Not that zmodem transfers are a BIG issue...
Andrew Alexander

Warya
2007-06-27 07:09:58 UTC
Well I would like to thank you all for the help with getting CNet 3.05c
nettable. I think the Telser device will be of GREAT use to me. And the fact
that I can run it from WinUAE makes it even better as my Amiga system,
though nicely equipped for an A2000(GVP 030, Retina Z2 4MB, Nakamichi 7CD
Changer X 2, 3.2GB just to name a few things on it), I can boost up the
emulator to where I can actually open the BBS up and run the 16 to 100 lines
immediately via emulation as I have a sufficiently powerful PC to where I
can setup WinUAE w/128MB of dedicated Z3 RAM, 2MB Chip RAM, 8MB RTG and
according to AiBB emulate a 68060 at like 400MHZ. :P

I guess construction of The City of Rage Online, will commence shortly, and
with these two weeks off from work, I should have it done soon!

Will post again when done.
Warya
2007-06-28 00:39:46 UTC
.
Post by Andrew Alexander
Yeah setting up telnetd for cnet 3 isn't that hard at all. In fact cnet
5's telnetd system is weak at this time. Everyone uses telnetd in
whatever version they use.
Actualy, now that you mention it, I seem to remember an issue with file
transfers using the built-in telnet.
Not that zmodem transfers are a BIG issue...
--
--------------------------
Window of Illusion Web Site - http://www.woibbs.org
Window of Illusion BBS - telnet://woibbs.org
AARGH! I've forgotten how to get the Amiga out of Icon Mode! And what's
worse I think I've lost my Manual. :((( I still have the original disks, but
no Manual. :( If anyone has a copy of 3.05 or higher they ain't planning on
using anymore let's talk. :)
Andrew Alexander
2007-06-28 03:03:59 UTC
Post by Warya
AARGH! I've forgotten how to get the Amiga out of Icon Mode! And what's
worse I think I've lost my Manual. :((( I still have the original disks, but
no Manual. :( If anyone has a copy of 3.05 or higher they ain't planning on
using anymore let's talk. :)
I am not sure what you mean by "icon mode" if your refering to cnet 3
turning into an icon after startup I think you just click it twice.

Drew
--
--------------------------
Warya
2007-06-28 05:29:27 UTC
Post by Andrew Alexander
Post by Warya
AARGH! I've forgotten how to get the Amiga out of Icon Mode! And what's
worse I think I've lost my Manual. :((( I still have the original disks,
but no Manual. :( If anyone has a copy of 3.05 or higher they ain't
planning on using anymore let's talk. :)
I am not sure what you mean by "icon mode" if your refering to cnet 3
turning into an icon after startup I think you just click it twice.
Drew
--
Actually I had to click the dayum thing in a certain locaton before it would