Is CNET BBS PRO source code available ?
Christophe Prevotaux
2009-02-17 15:09:07 UTC
Is the CNET source code available somewhere so it can be ported to UNIX ?
Milt
2009-02-17 16:02:04 UTC
Nope.
Alex Dread
2009-02-18 07:29:50 UTC
On Feb 17, 7:09 am, Christophe Prevotaux
Sorry, that would be to useful.
Ryan P
2009-02-18 20:54:10 UTC
On Feb 17, 7:09 am, Christophe Prevotaux
Post by Christophe Prevotaux
Is the CNET source code available somewhere so it can be ported to UNIX ?
Sorry, that would be to useful.
Thinking of CNet, Bing Crosby pops into my head... "Sweet, sweet
memories you gave to me... can't beat the memories you gave to me..."
Christophe Prevotaux
2009-04-23 11:43:55 UTC
Post by Ryan P
On Feb 17, 7:09 am, Christophe Prevotaux
Post by Christophe Prevotaux
Is the CNET source code available somewhere so it can be ported to UNIX ?
Sorry, that would be to useful.
Thinking of CNet, Bing Crosby pops into my head... "Sweet, sweet
memories you gave to me... can't beat the memories you gave to me..."
Well fine....

Is it better if it is ported to AROS ?
Christophe Prevotaux
Alex Dread
2009-04-23 15:57:44 UTC
On Apr 23, 4:43 am, Christophe Prevotaux
Post by Christophe Prevotaux
Well fine....
Is it better if it is ported to AROS ?
It's not that we don't want it ported to some OS that is still alive.
We just don't have a lot of faith anymore that anything useful will
ever happen in CNet Amiga land.
Milt
2009-04-23 16:26:21 UTC
On Apr 23, 4:43 am, Christophe Prevotaux
Post by Christophe Prevotaux
Well fine....
Is it better if it is ported to AROS ?
It's not that we don't want it ported to some OS that is still alive.
We just don't have a lot of faith anymore that anything useful will
ever happen in CNet Amiga land.
Considering there hasn't been anything going on in almost 2 years?
That's a safe bet.
Ryan P
2009-04-23 16:49:02 UTC
Post by Milt
Considering there hasn't been anything going on in almost 2 years?
That's a safe bet.
Whatever happened to K-Guide, anyway?

I remember Todd saying he was going to revoke the sale of the code or
something similar...
Milt
2009-04-23 17:00:00 UTC
Post by Ryan P
Post by Milt
Considering there hasn't been anything going on in almost 2 years?
That's a safe bet.
Whatever happened to K-Guide, anyway?
I remember Todd saying he was going to revoke the sale of the code or
something similar...
No clue. As for what Todd said? I learned long ago to ignore 99% of what
he says because chances are? Its far from reality.
Ryan P
2009-04-23 20:38:53 UTC
Post by Milt
Post by Ryan P
I remember Todd saying he was going to revoke the sale of the code or
something similar...
No clue. As for what Todd said? I learned long ago to ignore 99% of what
he says because chances are? Its far from reality.
I know... Its just that sometimes it would be nice to know what actually
happened. :)
Yogi
You got that right, so much for the new owners of cnet!
Milt
2009-05-15 16:02:02 UTC
Post by Yogi
Post by Milt
On Apr 23, 4:43 am, Christophe Prevotaux
Post by Christophe Prevotaux
Well fine....
Is it better if it is ported to AROS ?
It's not that we don't want it ported to some OS that is still alive.
We just don't have a lot of faith anymore that anything useful will
ever happen in CNet Amiga land.
Considering there hasn't been anything going on in almost 2 years?
That's a safe bet.
You got that right, so much for the new owners of cnet!
Yup, did about as much as the last owner. Ahhh well, to me CNet was dead
long before that, it just had a brief bit of life before going out
again. I actually brought my BBS back and ran it for a few months, but
then shut it down again as it seemed there was no progress and the BBS
was pretty much dead anyhow, had other uses for the computer.
Ryan P
2009-05-15 17:59:49 UTC
Milt
2009-05-15 18:09:47 UTC
Post by Ryan P
Post by Milt
Yup, did about as much as the last owner. Ahhh well, to me CNet was dead
long before that, it just had a brief bit of life before going out
again. I actually brought my BBS back and ran it for a few months, but
then shut it down again as it seemed there was no progress and the BBS
was pretty much dead anyhow, had other uses for the computer.
Although it was fun getting back to Hack n Slash and Wheel of Fortune
again. There are a few other pfiles that are still pretty fun, too...
Head2Head Global War. Games that were still amazingly fun even without
nice graphics!
Imagine the sick looks we would get from kids these days if they saw us
playing Empire.
"What does ---+----+---+++--+-++--+++ mean? Why aren't there any sound
effects?"
HA! No kidding, they would be waiting for the flash animations and the
sounds. Yeah, Empire and Global War was fun and if AREXX wouldn't have
been such a hog, Monopoly would have been incredible but it was too much
of a CPU hog.

That's the thing, with the way the Internet is now... the BBSes seem so
archaic, then again, if we were spoiled like that back then, we would
look funny at it too. That's the thing, back then, that WAS "high tech".
I remember when having a 56k modem was looked at as "cutting edge" and
I remember when 28.8k was a luxury!
Ryan P
2009-05-15 19:54:28 UTC
Milt
2009-05-15 22:00:40 UTC
Post by Ryan P
But its still amazing what all could be done with a scripting language
and an imagination. I don't really remember Monopoly... I don't think
we had it on any of the BBS' I frequented or Co-SysOp'd on. I DO
remember my introduction to learning more about how the internet worked
when we started hosting a CircleMUD on a 3.05c BBS.
You probably wouldn't remember it. It was one of Dotoran's last CNet
projects and I was beta-testing it for him so I don't think there was a
lot of BBSes that ran it. It was running on my CNet/4 BBS. Circle MUD, I
think I had that installed and played around with it a bit but never
really ran it.
ekdikeo
2009-06-25 04:57:40 UTC
Post by Yogi
Post by Milt
On Apr 23, 4:43 am, Christophe Prevotaux
Post by Christophe Prevotaux
Well fine....
Is it better if it is ported to AROS ?
It's not that we don't want it ported to some OS that is still alive.
We just don't have a lot of faith anymore that anything useful will
ever happen in CNet Amiga land.
Considering there hasn't been anything going on in almost 2 years?
That's a safe bet.
You got that right, so much for the new owners of cnet!
I was reading somewhere else on the Internet, that Jim Selleck, I
think it was, has the C-Net DS2 source code on an Amiga formatted SCSI
HD, and he'd be happy to get it out there in the wild, if he could get
the drive spun up on something or other. Maybe one of you guys could
help him out.
Christophe Prevotaux
2009-09-02 10:07:43 UTC
I was reading somewhere else on the Internet, that Jim Selleck, I think
it was, has the C-Net DS2 source code on an Amiga formatted SCSI HD, and
he'd be happy to get it out there in the wild, if he could get the drive
spun up on something or other. Maybe one of you guys could help him
out.
Ok, where is that Jim Selleck located ?
--
christophe